Your Ultimate Scottsdale HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Did you know that regular HVAC maintenance can decrease your utility bills by up to 40 percent while increasing your family’s overall comfort? Has it been awhile since you’ve had any maintenance done on your HVAC system?
If so, don’t worry. It’s never too late to get started.
And, to make things easier, we’ve put together the ultimate HVAC maintenance checklist so you can stay on top of it all year round!
How Often Should I Do HVAC Maintenance?
Before we get into specific maintenance tips, let’s first talk about how often you should be doing HVAC maintenance.
Generally, speaking how often you perform maintenance will depend on the type of system you have.
For a system that both heats and cools, you should perform maintenance once in the spring and once in the fall. For a system that only cools, you should perform maintenance at least once a year before the cooling season starts. For a heating-only system, you should perform maintenance once a year, before the heating season begins.
Ultimate HVAC Maintenance Checklist
For Outdoor Units
- Check and — if necessary — adjust refrigerant level
- Remove dirt, leaves, and debris
- Inspect base pan for blocked drain openings and remove any obstructions
- Inspect and clean coil and cabinet
- Inspect fan motor and fan blades for damage
- Inspect control box, controls, wiring, and connections for damage
- Inspect compressor and associated tubing for damage
For Indoor Units
- Inspect and clean blower assembly
- Inspect and replace fan belt if needed
- Check combustion blower housing for lint and debris
- Inspect and clean evaporator coil, drain pan and condensate drain lines
- Check for gas leaks in gas furnaces
- Inspect, clean, and adjust burner assembly
- Inspect, clean, and adjust ignition system and safety controls
- Inspect heating elements
- Inspect flue system for proper attachment and signs of corrosion
- Inspect control box, associated controls, wiring, and connections
- Clean or replace air filters
- Check ductwork for leaks
How to Get the Most Out of Your HVAC Unit
For maximum energy savings and comfort, keep these extra tips in mind.
For Cooling Systems
- During the summer months, set the thermostat as high as comfort permits
- Make sure attics are adequately ventilated to relieve heat buildup
- Don’t use the air conditioner unnecessarily
- Draw blinds or drapes to block sunlight during the hottest part of the day
- Don’t run kitchen and bath exhaust fans longer than necessary
For Heating Systems
- During the fall and winter months, set the thermostat as low as comfort permits
- Lower the thermostat a degree or two when expecting a large group of guests
- Make sure your home is properly insulated
- Weather-strip and caulk around all entrance doors and windows
- Cut heat transfer through your windows with double-glazing
- Use wood- or metal-frame storm windows to cut heat transfer
- Install storm doors at all entrances to your house
- Keep all windows and doors closed
- Make sure fireplaces have tight-fitting dampers
Looking for Reliable HVAC Services?
If, when you’re going through your HVAC maintenance checklist, you come across a problem that requires a professional’s help, don’t trust your system to just anyone!
If you are in need of an HVAC repair company in Scottsdale, contact Hays Cooling Heating & Plumbing a five-star rated, family-owned company ready to help.
Contact Hays Cooling Heating & Plumbing today at (602) 714-8270 or email us to to schedule your HVAC maintenance! It Pays To Call Hays!
Read Related Articles:
- What is the Average Air Conditioner Life Expectancy in Phoenix AZ
- Air Conditioning Preventive Maintenance [Checklist]
- How To Care for Central Air Conditioning Units in Phoenix
About the Author
Chris and Stacia Hays, are the owners of Hays Cooling, Heating & Plumbing; a family owned and operated HVAC company in Phoenix founded in 2001 that services both commercial and residential customers. Chris leads a team of certified technicians who have over 45 years of combined experience and has earned and A+ rating with the BBB and a strong five star rating online. Hays Cooling and Heating focuses on providing support to their customers every step of the way, with exceptional service and competitive prices. If you are looking for top-notch air conditioning and heating service, contact, Chris or Stacia today at (602) 607-1424.